WED was established by the United Nations General Assembly to mark the opening of the 1972 Stockholm Conference. It has become the most widely celebrated global day for positive environmental action.
This year WED supports the UN International Year of Forests, with the theme ‘Forests: Nature at Your Service’.
Employers could organise short programmes to assist employees to personalise environmental issue by adopting team and personal responsibilities for positive environmental changes and sustainable development.
Environmental protection includes efficient use of resources and prevention of pollution./
Companies could consider environmental support programmes like these:
• Site or neighbourhood clean-up
• Remove invasive plants and inform neighbours of species
• Presentations on environmental values and corporate actions
• Campaign to replace plastic bags with re-usable bags
• Plant indigenous trees
• Print banners, caps, T shirts with a WED message
• Quiz environment knowledge and award prizes
• Find data on environmental degradation, problems and solutions
• Display posters on collective action to protect the environment.
Visit the UN WED website at http://www.unep.org/wed/about/
IMAGE: World Enviornment Day 2011 logo, featuring a natural forest conservation theme with the logo ‘Nature at your service’.