Posted on: March 19, 2009 Posted by: Diane Swarts Comments: 0

South Africa. Greg Pillay, head of the City of Cape Town’s Disaster Risk Management Centre said that no further injuries had been reported after five fire fighters and two suspected vagrants were injured in the fires that started on Tuesday on Table Mountain in Cape Town.

With reference to the Health and Safety of the fire fighters, he said the five fire fighters sustained minor injuries while trying to extinguish the flames, while the two suspected vagrants sustained third degree burns in the fire.

Pillay reassured the public that a fire safety plan is now in operation and that a total of 45 fire fighters had been deployed to the area. The fire fighters were working a shift cycle to extinguish the fires which had spread around Devil’s Peak.

He said that it was safe for those who had been advised to evacuate their homes to return to them. “They can return to their homes, the alert was issued as a precaution,” said Mr Pillay.

The cause for the fire had not been established. “We do not know what caused the fire, we would rather not speculate. We will continue to monitor the situation,” said Mr Pillay.

Source: BuaNews
By: Neo Semono

Uncategorized